Hiring a video editor can be a daunting task. Especially small businesses or individuals who are unfamiliar with hiring freelance creatives for single projects. Here are 7 essential questions to ask yourself before hiring a video editor (aka me🙋). This will allow you to communicate and collaborate effectively with your editor and help set clear objectives and deadlines for your video projects. Taking the time to think through even just a few of these questions will an editor be able to create a product that achieves your desired result and save you a lot of time, frustration and money.
1) What audience is this video for?
2) What "takeaway" or overall impression should that audience get from watching the video?
3) How long do you expect the length or duration of the video to be?
4) What format was the video footage shot in and what additional assets, such as photos, motion graphics and visual fx, need to be created?
5) How do you plan on delivering all the footage and assets to your video editor?
6) How do you want the final video delivered back to you from your editor and in what format?
7) What is the timeline for this project?
Hope these questions help sort through the confusion of that can occur when talking to us "creatives" and lead to many fruitful collaborations and successful video projects!